This Beginner's Guide is aimed at teaching new players the key concepts that exist within Blacklight: Retribution.
About Blacklight: Retribution Edit
Wage war with advanced weapons and technology in Blacklight: Retribution, a free-to-play, futuristic first-person shooter. Deploy devastating armored exoskeletons and utilize lethal hand-held weapons in vicious competitive modes.
This guide is made to help new agents find their way around the Blacklight community and gain a basic understanding of the main features
The core of Blacklight: Retribution is customization, the player can change the armor their character wears, swap out different equipment and gear, and completely customize their weapons (known as Receivers in-game). In order to customize your items you'll need to earn Game Points (GP) or purchase ZCoin.
The second feature that sets Blacklight: Retribution apart from other First Person Shooters is the Hyper-Reality Visor (HRV). When a player presses 'v' (the default HRV key) the player will be able to temporarily see through walls.
Primary Receiver Edit
As you play the game and earn GP or purchase ZCoin you'll be able to rent or purchase items for your character, weapons, or weapon parts.
Your primary weapon is broken into eight parts:
- Weapon Tag - purely for cosmetic purposes.
- Camouflage (Camo) - can be applied to both primary and secondary weapons.
Secondary Receiver Edit
Your default secondary receiver is the Light Pistol.
When customizing a secondary receiver not all parts can be changed. For example, in order to add a stock to a Light Pistol, a barrel must first be attached.
When using other secondary receivers like the Revolver, only the Scope and Ammo type can be changed.
Premade Weapons Edit
After the Parity Patch, Premade weapons have been removed from the game along with the level requirement for all weapon parts.
The player's character has three slots for armor to be equipped:
Equipping different armor will change your stats and how many Gear items you can equip.
Default Character Statistics Edit
- Health: 200
- HRV: 70.0u
- Head Protection: 12%
- Run Speed: 7.65
- Recharge: 6.7u/s
- Gear Slots: 2
Cosmetic Items Edit
- Trophy - Your Character can equip a Trophy. Trophies can only be obtained by completing a certain task (be a beta tester, get a certain amount of kills, etc). Trophies are purely cosmetic.
- Titles - similar to Trophies, titles are cosmetic items. When equipped a title will hide your level in the player roster during a match.
- Camouflage can also be applied to your armor and receivers.
Players can purchase a variety of different Gear to encompass a large number of play-styles or personal preferences. There are two categories of equipment a player can use:
- Gear - includes many different kinds of gear including: Frag Grenade Mk.1, Stun Shuriken, Breach Hammer, and Personal Holo-Decoy.
- Tactical Gear - Only one may be equipped and includes items like Ammunition Pod Mk.1, Heal Injector Mk.1, Cloak, and Hardsuit Battle Mode.
Accessed by pressing the 'v' key (when using the default key bindings), Hyper Reality Visor or HRV allows players to see through walls to locate objectives, enemies, teammates, weapon depots, and Hardsuit weak-points.
HRV is an extremely useful tool in-game and enables all players to quickly locate enemies and formulate a plan to engage them. Remember, your enemies have it too and they will use it to find you.
Additionally, each player has a set amount of HRV that depletes when used but slowly recharges back to full. HRV can only used when the HRV bar is full and when a player uses HRV they are unable to shoot but can cancel HRV by pressing the 'v' key again. Note, there is a short animation when HRV is used or canceled before the player's weapon is readied.
Weapon Depots are stations located around the map that allow players to purchase heavy weapons like the Minigun or items like the Health or Ammunition Refill. The available items can be changed in the Customization Menu. These items can only be purchased with Combat Points (CP).
Combat Points Edit
Combat Points (CP) are a currency earned in-game by doing anything that would benefit the team or further the team to victory.
Combat Points are reset to zero after every match and can only be spent in-game at Weapon Depots.
The Hardsuit is a colossal, nearly unstoppable mech that can be purchased from the Weapon Depot. The Rhino Hardsuit comes packed with 15,000 HP, a minigun and a long range railgun. A well piloted Hardsuit can turn the tide of any battle.
Blacklight: Retribution features the following game modes:
- Capture the Flag
- Team Deathmatch
- Kill Confirmed
- King Of The Hill
- Last Man Standing
- Last Team Standing
- Search and Destroy
Removed Game Modes Edit
Note: The Parity Patch has disabled several game modes while the developers improve/fix them.
Here are all the maps that can be played in-game:
- Heavy Metal
- Centre (Only available with the game mode Onslaught)
Removed Maps Edit
- Nuken (Only available in the game mode Siege)
- Slumlord (Removed with the Parity Patch)
- Dropzone (Removed with the Parity Patch)
- Offshore (Removed with the Parity Patch, replaced with Rig)
All non-cosmetic items can be purchased for GP.
Pre-Parity Patch Edit
For every level up, players would receive a Reward Pack that contains a number of free 3 day trial items, usually those were items that would be unlocked at the same level. Reward Packs could be left unopened in the Inbox and opened at a later level, to be combined with packs from other levels.
Post-Parity Patch Edit
Reward Packs no longer exist. When a player levels up, the game will inform the player what items they have unlocked but no trial items will be issued.
Additional Guides Edit
- Blacklight Retribution Weapon Receiver Build Guides By ZeroArmada
- Extremely well written guide explaining different weapon builds. Even includes level 15 and under builds. Note: You may need to log into Steam in-order to view the youtube videos directly from the guide.
- All of the Steam Community Guides for Blacklight: Retribution
- A great list of guides for players to reference.
- Complete Guide to Blacklight: Retribution By Exam
- Contains a series of videos for new players.
- Your guide here
- or here
"Information is power." Maybe after reading this you might actually get better at this game, and maybe even beat the more "pro" gamers, but no matter if you are a novice or a veteran, all that matters is that you have a good time playing Blacklight: Retribution.
Good Luck Agents!